States should take measures to ensure that persons with disabilities have equal opportunities for recreation and sports.
1. States should initiate measures to make places for recreation and sports, hotels, beaches, sports arenas, gym halls etc. accessible to persons with disabilities. These measures should encompass support for staff in recreation and sports programmes, including projects to develop methods of accessibility, and participation, information and training programmes.
2. Tourist authorities, travel agencies, hotels, voluntary organizations and others involved in organizing recreational activities or travel opportunities should offer their services to all, taking into account the special needs of persons with disabilities. Suitable training should occur to assist this process.
3. Sports organizations should be encouraged to develop opportunities for participation by persons with disabilities in sports activities. In some cases, accessibility measures could be enough to open up opportunities for participation. In other cases, special arrangements or special games would be needed. States should support the participation of persons with disabilities in national and international events.
4. Persons with disabilities participating in sports activities should have access to instruction and training of the same quality as other participants.
5. Organizers of sports and recreation should consult with organizations of persons with disabilities when developing their services for persons with disabilities.