2. Threatening people, issues or social institutions are brought to a level at which they can be approached as equals.
3. Life does not cease to be funny when people die; any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. (George Bernard Shaw).
4. What I want to do is to make people laugh so that they'll see things seriously. (William K. Zinsser).
2. It is common to "laugh off" issues that in fact require further strategies to be resolved.
3. Humour can be exclusive, causing more tension than it dissipates, with "inside jokes".